keeping it all down

Discuss commercially made shelters.
ImageImage
irrationalsolutions

keeping it all down

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 pm

i have a hammock for the wife and one for myself. i also have a few tents. they all came with those really cheap stakes. you all know the ones i'm talking about. i have in the past always used the ones that are like really long nails with the plastic things on the end to use as hooks. well now i want to try something new and better. the cheapo ones have to go, they seem to never work when you need them. they really heavy ones work well but i'm trying to cut down on the weight i carry, and they do seem like over kill. and the ti ones are more than i think i should spend. i liked the idea on here somewhere ( i want to say it was zelph) about making them out of the political signs but that is out of the question around here. the sheriffs dept is cracking down on the roadside signs. the other week they went around and picked up something like 30,000 of them in one day. so what do all of you use?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Re: keeping it all down

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:15 pm

i use these:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 6049722951

they are made by Easton, (the arrow people), and are in fact the back end of an arrow, with the nock mount taper as the point of the peg, and a milled aluminum head with a hole drilled across it for the top of the peg. i have the hex fly so i carry four pegs, instead of two for the regular fly.

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:51 am

I use MSR Ground Hogs after them be recomended by just about everyone on hamockforrums.net. They are very durable Aluminum the stake is the Y shape They've held up for me and they are really light. Also I have noticed that Kmart now carries ones that look identical to these under the Coleman name. Cheaper than what I paid for mine. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

hoz

Postby hoz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 am

For backpacking I carry the lightweight, twisted or straight metal skewers.

If I think they are going to pullout I back them up with a rock or two.

A few of the Easton pegs came with my new Shires Contrail, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. But I also plan on carrying a few of my regulars for storm proofing the tent.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I have lots of old stakes and pick them up when I find them. I use them until they run out then use aluminum gutter nails if I ever need to buy them.

hoz

Postby hoz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:I have lots of old stakes and pick them up when I find them. .

The first thing I do when setting up a new camp is look over the ground for new tent stakes. There's ALWAYS something laying on the ground...

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:00 pm

thakls guys. there are some good ideas here. i usually make mine out of sticks but i wanted to move on and try so real one again. i have been looking into the topic myself and have looked up everything posted. i think i am going to try the stakes at kmart that look like the ones msr. another reason i want to get real ones is the amount i need. the tents need 4 each at that isnt a problem to make. the hammocks use 4 each so i need 8 for them. and after i finish my new tarps for them i'll need more than that.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:I use MSR Ground Hogs after them be recomended by just about everyone on hamockforrums.net. They are very durable Aluminum the stake is the Y shape They've held up for me and they are really light. Also I have noticed that Kmart now carries ones that look identical to these under the Coleman name. Cheaper than what I paid for mine. :mrgreen:

Here are the Coleman Stakes that run $7 plus tax for four.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 pm

on the way home today i stopped by kmart and picked up two packs. i now have enough to use my hammocks. first impressions are good except for the made in china. they are lighter than i thought they would be and stronger. i tried to bend one and couldnt. when i get a chance to use them i'll let you all know what i think. now i have to figure out what to put them in.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:08 pm

I made some DIY stainless steel stakes but nobody liked them :roll:

:P on them!!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Tents, Tarps, Hammocks and Bivies”