keeping it all down

Discuss commercially made shelters.
dlarson
Site Admin

Re: keeping it all down

Post by dlarson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:06 am

I use the Ti stakes from BackpackingLight.
6-packs from REI are $20.00 and the 6-packs from BackpackingLight are $15.00 or $13.50 for members. $15-$13 seems reasonable to me.

I do think it's easier for the skewer type stakes to get pulled out from the ground or spin in place compared to some other styles. I always make sure to press it all the way down until the hook starts to go into the ground. If I do that and set the stake at the correct angle I usually don't have any problems.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:28 pm

as stated in another thread i used the last of my tooling alum today. i found that the stakes fit great in the tube the alum came in. i only have 8 stakes but they all fit and i think i might be able to get more in it. the tube is light but i wish i could find another top that is a little lighter. however, to keep everything in my pack form getting poked and dirty from the stakes i dont really mind the extra weight.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:06 pm

I find that plastic lids come in all sizes from food containers,don't weigh much, and you get a nice bonus with a can of peanuts,pringles,or whatever else came under the lid!With careful planning,the misses will buy it for you too! :lol: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:50 pm

i just got to thinking about it and when i finish the hammock tarps i will need 10 stakes per hammock. the only saving grace i have with this is that the wife doesnt like going out when its cold. i was working on trying to work her into it but knowing that i have to carry some of her stuff and i will need a total of 20 stakes for winter camping i think i will just let her stay at home! :o :twisted:

but i will still go and take my dog! :D she is better in the woods than the wife anyway.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 pm

That picture of the tent stakes reminds me of a lot of older 1950s-60s countertop aluminum inside corner extrusions...hmm..it comes in 12' pieces.I'll have to see if I still have some of that stuff and see how strong it is as far as bending..I might have a 100+ stakes laying around! :shock: :lol: It'd be nice to use it up for something else since they don't use it in laminate countertops any more...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 am

i havent seen those counter tops in years, they were before my time.

i was thinking about my wind screen. while testing outside i have had a problem a few times when the wind picked up, it actually blew away once and i had to go get it and put it back on. on the trail this could be a problem. since i cut a new on as soon as i get the holes punched in the bottom of it i was thinking about using a couple small stakes to hold it down. i think i remember qelph saying something about using the metal from those road side signs for stakes. well, they are on a rampage around here about those things so there arent many around. what do y'all think about making them out of coat hangers? and do you think taking a couple small stakes for this is over kill?

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:57 am

Here is big windscreen for my stoves they have rods on each end i put holes in table for them you could us two windsceew one for heat one for wind.

Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:46 pm

IR, I was at Wallyworld yesterday and found an paintball ammo container that looks like it will work nicely for these Coleman stakes. The lid has a metal pin hinge and snaps closed. The diameter is about 2.25", slightly bigger than I need for my 8 stakes for my hammock. I know it will hold 12 and maybe a couple more. Cost: $1.98

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:21 pm

here is a pic of what i am going to try.

it has all 8 stakes in it now. i know it will hold more but i dont know how much more. since i know i will need 10 stakes for the winter tarp i'll pick up another pack this week and see if they fit.

thanks for the idea RR. i used to be into paintball so if i remember right the tube the alum came in is a little lighter but i'm not sure about the knob/loop sticking out of the top of it. if i have a problem with this your idea is next on the list.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Some people seem to be concerned about stakes penetrating tents,pack,and that..and what to store them in in a pack.I found this interesting--->

I'm probably old-school and using the thin metal stakes with the 90 degree bend on the end(or a 'U') and these would work perfect for those!Inside length is 7-3/4" and should hold about 8 or more fine..haven't tried yet..These are "Slide-Action Toothbrush Holders"..Weight is 37 grams.I paid 99 cents at a thrift store but some other stores should have them close to that price.I need to find another 4-5 to keep one with each tent or hammock.Nice compact case for that purpose..if you use skinny stakes that will fit inside.Overall about 8"x1-1/2"x1-1/4".There is a spot on the skinny end where you can push on the inside piece to open it up.otherwise They fit snug inside.You know..a person could use one for a toothbrush holder..and even IR's wife might appreciate that and buy him one or two... if he's nice... :lol: :DB: :DB: