keeping it all down

Discuss commercially made shelters.
Ridgerunner

Re: keeping it all down

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:11 pm

RG, the Coleman tri-edged stakes are about 9 1/4" in length(guaranteed to keep you staked down in gale force winds :lol: ) Finding the perfect container hasn't been easy. I'm considering using golf club bag insert tubes and cutting them to length but then must find caps the right size. :roll: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:36 pm

I use railroad spikes..I must say I've never bent one... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:14 pm

realityguy wrote:I use railroad spikes..I must say I've never bent one... :mrgreen:
and you use the golf bag and the cart to haul yours :DB: :DP:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 pm

and you use the golf bag and the cart to haul yours :DB: :DP:
No/..the wife and I have an agreement..I carry the tent and she carries the poles and stakes :lol: That's why the tents are only a couple pounds. ;)

:DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 am

just to update you on the tent stake situation. i had to run out today so i picked up two more packs of tent stakes. that gives me 4 packs which is 16 stakes. if i put half rightside up and half upside i can fit all of them in the tube. that works for me. when i finish the winter tarp and the second tarp for sumer use i can carry all the stakes i need. during the summer the wife will use the winter tarp for coverage and ill use the smaller one and during the winter ill be alone. with the einter tarp i will need 10 and the smaller summer tarp will use 6.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm assuming I'll need longer more skookum stakes for the hammock verses a tent due to the body weight swaying back and forth and possibly stronger gusts getting under a hammock tarp verses a tent pitched on the ground....So..what length penetration do people consider adequate stake length(for normal medium soil conditions) for hammock/tarp control????.I hope I explained that okay... :?:
I know I can get by with shorter stakes for a small tent because it's ON the ground...

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:00 pm

So..what length penetration do people consider adequate stake length
You'd have to ask my spouse. :o I use what ever I have ! :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:41 pm

I asked her and all she could tell me was "you needed longer ones than the ones you were using"... ..whatever she meant by that I don't know... :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Okay..I'll rephrase that..What I'm wondering is that do you find the hammock's swing and pull is stronger than a normal tent staking and find that the stakes need to be more supportive to keep them in place than tent stakes?I'm assuming the weight of a body in motion or shifting around in a hammock has more torque than wind on a tent...and also I assume the hammock tarp would get more wind under it for yanking stakes.
One more thing..I went down to the local Joe's Sporting Goods(Alias GI Joe's without GI crap) for their closeout sale..what a rip off..everything is at least 10% off but jacked up in price 100% beforehand!MSR stakes are $7 for 4(like your coleman ones)..and the MSR ones are $20 for 8..Those will probably be there down to about 75% off..before they take them off the shelves and hide them in the back room.I wandered around for about 40 minutes..they can keep all their overpriced stuff...JMHO..90% of the people appear to be walking out with nothing..just a big advertising hype...

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:55 pm

sucks! there's a local outdoor shop here in Surrey that has a lot of good gear, but there prices are through the roof. it's a family business and i like that but i just can't stomach the prices. i hate doing it but a few times i've printed out an item available at MEC in Vancouver and carried the page with me. they'll match the price but i'm sure they cringe every time i pull into the parking lot.

on hammock stakes:
the HH models use bungie cord for secondary tie-outs. the asymetrical corners, know what i mean? this seems to lessen the demand on the stakes while still stabilizing the hammock. for the fly/tarp i used to just use bungies. i'll be using the tarp tensioners linked here from BPL in another thread.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast