Grizz Bridge Hammock

Discuss commercially made shelters.
zelph

Grizz Bridge Hammock

Post by zelph » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm back from my adventure :D

I was camped out in the Starved Rock State Park campground, Northern Illinois. The first video was taken on top of what is known as Starved Rock.
http://www.starvedrockstatepark.org/

The second is of 3 very nice examples of Poison Ivy plants, ground cover, shrub and climbing vine. They were located along a trail leading up to the overlook on top of Starved Rock.

The other two videos are of the bridge hammock made by "Professor Hammock" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-SY947HLvw

I had taken many photos but unfortunately I no longer am in possesion of my camer :o :cry: I stopped on one of the trails leading up to Starved Rock to rest on one of the benches. Placed my camera down along side of me, started using my binoculars to view the scenery around me, got distracted by a young couple getting all kissy faced down the trail a bit. My mind wandered aimlessly for a spell :D . I rested up and went on my way up the trail without my camera, left it sitting there on the bench :roll: Twenty minutes later I was back at the bench to get it and to my surprise it was gone!!!! :cry:

Rained most of the days. Bummer!!! Got caught in a rain storm 1/3 the way up a ravine on my way back to where I had parked my car. After the storm had let up enough to proceed I continued up the rest of the way. Just as I was about to make it to the top I slipped on the rain soaked clayey soil and strained some muscles in my arm and leg. My arm held tightly around a sapling tree that prevented me from doing a free fall back down the ravine :o While making my way up the ravine I had lost one of the stone axe artifacts that I had found. I watched it go tumbling down the steep side of the ravine. Maybe in the Spring I'll go back for it.

When I got home, my Kelly Kettle was waiting there for me. It sure is an efficient way to boil water. (after I modified it) :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Re: Grizz Bridge Hammock

Post by cadyak » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am

beautiful state park. Jealous of your camping time. It looks nice and cool on video. How is the fishing around there?

your hammock appears very sturdy. Is your preference in hammocks a bridge hammock? Is it called a bridge hammock because of the spreader bars? What are the benefits of it compared to a "pointy ended" one? I am very intrigued by the thought of hanging, but afraid I will love it. Then what would I do with all of my ground gear?

Thank goodness for small well placed saplings. Glad you didnt ride the mud sled. Do you find a lot of indian artifacts around there? Who were the indians of the area?

Too bad about your camera. I dropped mine in the lake on saturday and was surprised to be able to retrieve the data from the sd card after fishing it out.

Its been quiet around here. Do any stove testing?

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Zelph,

Nice videos.

Did you use a bug net and tarp? Noticed the other guy was setting up a tarp.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Oh, man! Life of Riley!

That hammock should keep you out of all that poison ivy... poison ivy seems to be everywhere you go..

When I got my hammock, I made still pictures and video of getting in, swaying gently, the trees in view. Nice.

Too bad, about your camera. I am glad you weren't hurt by the fall at the ravine.
When I got home, my Kelly Kettle was waiting there for me. It sure is an efficient way to boil water. (after I modified it) :lol:
What modifications?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

..modifications...

He more than likely added the whistle to wake him up from the hammock nap.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Yes, what modifications? What kind of indian artifact did you find? My butt would have been down that cliff retrieving it old timer! :lol: :lol: :lol: The bridge looks like an interesting hammock. Seems to be a lot of different rope and latching :?: The other thing I noticed was it looks like you could roll out of it on a restless night but that is just me. The key is that you like it and had a good time in the woods other than losing your thousand dollar camera. :o Did you check the park office to see if anyone turned it in? What a bummer!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Yes, what modifications?

Maybe he added wings and a nose cone to the cap!... :lol:

10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.. And we have lift-off! :o

You guys should get together and see who could win for "distance"... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 pm

cadyak wrote:beautiful state park. Jealous of your camping time. It looks nice and cool on video. How is the fishing around there?

your hammock appears very sturdy. Is your preference in hammocks a bridge hammock? Is it called a bridge hammock because of the spreader bars? What are the benefits of it compared to a "pointy ended" one? I am very intrigued by the thought of hanging, but afraid I will love it. Then what would I do with all of my ground gear?

Thank goodness for small well placed saplings. Glad you didnt ride the mud sled. Do you find a lot of indian artifacts around there? Who were the indians of the area?

Too bad about your camera. I dropped mine in the lake on saturday and was surprised to be able to retrieve the data from the sd card after fishing it out.

Its been quiet around here. Do any stove testing?
I had just answered all of the questions with a lot of text and when I went to submit the bplite software tells me I have to log in. It took me too long of a time to type and I was logged of automatically :twisted: so I lost all what I had typed. So this is a heads up......... preview your comment once in a while to let the bplite software know you're still around a alive. I'll have to come back tomorrow to answer everyones questions again :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 pm

I hate it when that happens :twisted: Just a thought; when ever writing long text, go ahead and highlight the text and right click the mouse and copy.......just in case! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Post by sudden » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Don't forget to check the local paper for lost and found or hiker websites. Lots of people out there would try to get that camera back to you.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."