Underquilt....

Discuss commercially made shelters.
JBRanger

Underquilt....

Post by JBRanger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:19 pm

So, for my HH I've made a DIY PLUQ (Poncho liner under quilt). This weekend I found out that the low for it is 50* degrees. After that it gets COLD! LOL!

I'll be making a new one that will take me MUCH lower. I'm hoping for the 20 range. Trying to decide if I should do a down UQ or synthetic.

Overall a great weekend camping with the family. Also, did a little apple picking on Saturday. :)

Ridgerunner

Re: Underquilt....

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 am

50* :o Did you use a cf mattress also? I have a small lightweight down throw blanket (4x5)I was thinking about trying as an underquilt to see how it would perform.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:06 pm

50 degrees..a good down bag/cf should cover that..RR,can you recut that down 4x5 cover and make it longer?I've been cutting wedges out of the center of things and adding the two side pieces together at one end to double lengths..
Instructions:Figure cutting it across the 4' side with a piece out of the center at 3' at one end(mark 12" from each outer corner) then the other end mark it at 18" from each corner..Cut across the lines edge to edge..Use some seam tape to enclose the 4 cut edges(now outside ones) to contain the feather compartments.Then sew the two wide ends together..ending up with an 8' long one that goes from 2' wide at each end to 3' wide in the middle...Roll the two ends 2" for a "drawstring" nylon strap..add a short strap on each side of the middle point of the UQ.Sew 6 female clips on the hammock with 2" straps..add adjustable matching male ends to the 6 straps..roll the ends so they can't come off the straps..you're done!
If you have a problem of the ends rolling down in the night to under the hammock,tack the nylon strap through the sleeves at the ends to keep it at the minimum width you need to keep it tight to the hammock and around the ends of the hammock.You can sew/tack some elastic to the drawstrap,stretched so it bunches the strap and stretches the ends tight to the hammock(afterwards if you need it)
Can you do that with one wing? ;) You should have it done today... :roll:
(need a drawing/picture?I can post it here)

:mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Sorry Cuz, one wing only allows me to do 12oz. curls. I start rehab next week on the gimpy wing. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Yea, 50 degrees. For us southerners thats pretty dang cold. Also, I sleep cold. I like to be WARM when I sleep. I also had a tq on for snuggle factor. I always seem to need a tq. Even when it's middle of summer I'll take a long a bed sheet just as a tq. Just something about it allows me to sleep more soundly.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I'm going to try a coarse, hand woven wool underquilt and a DIY "Malden Mills" fleece ballaclava for my head. I like to be warm and toasty also :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Just for the sake of "can it be done.."

Something I started awhile ago and somewhat forgot about..Yes..you can take an old down bag,cut it in half,and make a UQ out of it.It still weighs about 2lb and I need to add the straps and buckles to a hammock..or i'll probably make a new hammock just for it with what is needed for strapping attached.It did start as an old REI 4lb bag whacked in half.It was sewn skinnier because of some holes in the tan side that I had to cover.I'll probablyjust surface sew strapping over the ends on the outside,taking about only 1" off each end..and adding a couple straps just along the edges in the center area.if that's not enough for a snug fit,I'll probably zig-zag some loops between the two pieces and lace it to the hammock(like your shoes)for a nice snug fit.
It might end up skinnier than I really want and not allow much movement above..but at a cost of $15-20...oh well..
I will try hanging in the yard with it before freezing my tail off on a trail.. Someday I'll finish it..another project. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I would think you might need it a little wider to give you protection on the sides?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I would think you might need it a little wider to give you protection on the sides?
I'm kind of thinking the same thing..however the bag will protect the sides somewhat with uncompressed down.I was limited by the holes in the tan side as to how wide I could make the thing.I really didn't want to start hand patching holes...I figure it was cheap and a throwaway if I couldn't salvage it for something.If it works..fine..If it doesn't..it'll get chucked anyway.
The other half had bigger holes and more loss of down..I think I chucked it already..didn't see it in my cleanup.
The more I think about it,it was a quick $5 buy that I didn't check the interior of the bag..and the outside was fine,If i paid more than that,I would have checked it over completely. ;)

sudden

Post by sudden » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:21 pm

OK, I don't have a hammock yet and I don't sew, so forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I need your feedback.

Fact? - Insulation relies on trapping air/ stopping it's movement. (with the exception of reflectors used to aid stopping heat loss).

Fact? - Hammocks are colder than tents at low temperature due to air movement under the hammock (and probably ground vs air temps), hence the underquilts.

Fact? - Underquilts trap some air in their insulation layer and help reduce the heat loss.

I'm wondering why you don't try attaching what would basically be a bag under the hammock instead?

If you made this bag (triangle-tent or box shaped) from a space blanket (the cheap one, or tyvex) you could cut down on weight and save a lot of money (no down fill required).

What I have in mind is a thin/lightweight hollow bag sewn or attached close to the bottom of the hammock. Something that would be pulled down and staked to the ground in order to open it up and create a dead airspace and windblock below the hammock in colder weather. It should act just like a double pane window but with feet of airspace instead of millimeters.

The bag would need to seal up after expanding so any movement (by wind or sleeper) cannot draw air in or push it out. If you got really creative you could make a big sealable opening that could keep some gear dry and also weigh the bag down and keep it expanded. If you look at the shiny party balloons you can get from wal-mart or others, they can be sealed easily by folding over the fill tube and pinching shut with a rubber band. (hmm, I'm on the hunt now for a very large hammock sized party balloon :)).
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."