Underquilt....

Discuss commercially made shelters.
realityguy

Re: Underquilt....

Post by realityguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Space blankets will provide some heat..but not much compared to layers of down.You could swing your hammock 2" above the ground under your butt to keep that space at a minimum..or you could hang your hammock in a tent.
The main problem with using down bags in hammocks(or on the ground for that matter) is that the bottom layer of down is compressed and loses it's insulation value.When you suspend the 1/2 down bag under the hammock it remains uncompressed and has it's full insulation value.
There's no reason a person couldn't make something say like..a layer of space blanket coated bubble wrap(sold in stores),then a thin closed cell foam pad,then another layer of the bubble space blanket insulation..or anything under there.You could just hang another bag under there also.
I think the main problem is air infiltration between your layers,where the warm air is leaking out and the cold air is leaking in.You could just put strips of velcro under your hammock and on the perimeter of your UQ..whatever you make it out of.
I have a pocket in my hammocks for a thermarest pad or closed cell foam..which I can add the windshield covers(foiled bubble wrap) inside the pocket for more warmth,above and/or below the pad..which might still be chilly at the edges.
There is a point with all the crap you have to pack that it might be easier and lighter to just take a tent,a good thick down bag,and a thermarest pad.That's the point that I quit using hammocks for the year.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm on the hunt now for a very large hammock sized party balloon ).
get a swimming pool float :idea:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:45 am

I think I understand what you are talking about. I think something similar is the Garlington Taco.... http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/HammockIn ... ulator.htm.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 am

Good info. The link at the bottom provides more on the GI.
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/HammockIn ... iginal.htm
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 am

JBRanger wrote:I think I understand what you are talking about. I think something similar is the Garlington Taco.... http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/HammockIn ... ulator.htm.
Thanks JB,

That's pretty much the idea. Looks like he tested it back in 2003. I don't see anything after that. I like the concept but there must be a flaw in it that kept it from going mainstream.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:01 pm

This is what i would use for one...
http://www.radiantguard.com/foil-double ... ation.aspx

For those that feel a need to make a cheap underquilt from a sleeping bag,this is pretty easy to follow--->
http://www.bushcraftliving.com/equipmen ... et-for-32p

Something surprising is that people go through so much hassle making the UQs "adjustable" as to where it lies,then feel the need to shift the thing around as they try to sleep to eliminate cold spots.
The last hammock I made here(check threads,realityguy/brown hammock) was sewn up in one day with the bugscreen and everything.Why not just make up a second hammock for winter use that has a full down UQ attached as part of the body,to eliminate the problems of compression and movement?
It would be almost as simple to make that second hammock as it is to make an underquilt..if you use a down bag as a base.You only need to open it up,sew the hammock body to the inside of the bag around the perimeter or to whatever you cut it down to..Uncompressed down under your body,pad pocket inside..whatever.You could probably use it in the fall and spring months also with minimal effort to protect over you inside the hammock...so you might have to make an overquilt for those seasons.Summer you could use a sheet or blanket inside if you felt a need to use it then. :idea:
Bear in mind that REI back in the early days(50s-60s?) sold a cot like a "pak-a-bed" that actually had rows of down sewn beneath the canvas to eliminate that "compression of the down" problem.It just never caught on.That was 50 years ago!This is not a new problem only because some people now hang from trees.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 pm

That idea is actually quite smart. You know the general temp typically when you camp. Atleast I do. ....thinking.....

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:19 pm

This is what I'm talking about :)

I don't understand why the taco wasn't extended to the ground as a sealed unit (except you seal it up after extending it). Instead, they stuff it with inflated garbage bags or leaves. I still think if you had a bag of some sort attached to the bottom of the hammock; and you could extend it low to or near the ground; you could have some good insulation from the trapped air only.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:25 pm

The more I think about those old cots..think they were Eddie Bauer ones,had a big logo on top.I sold one to a scout master in Japan for $125(with about $75 for shipping) and i don't recall what happened to the other two.Someone had redone a bottom piece of material to cover some holes and the other needed some corners reinforced.I've never seen any more since.That was probably about 1995 on ebay.I think I got the three of them for $5 each at a thrift store.
It was a novel concept..but way ahead of its time.Maybe they didn't sell well because of possible down leaks from poking holes with the W spring steel legs on the things. :roll:
I believe the Pak-a-beds..came out about 1958 or so...same idea,except for the added down.I remember the pak-a-beds as kids..we had a couple in our family.
I wish I could remember what EB called them.. :roll:

Your post..Air is okay as an insulator but I think any leaks around the edges might be a problem.The chances of air leaks is way up there also.Would you really want to get up in the middle of the night,find the leak,patch it,and reinflate it? :o ..No thanks... :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Why not just make up a second hammock for winter use that has a full down UQ attached as part of the body,to eliminate the problems of compression and movement?
Excellent idea. Use a rectangular bag. So what if the down compresses. It compresses when you use it on the ground. Use a bag big enough for the elements. If it gets heavy eat more protein for added muscle mass. Adjust, adapt make it work :D ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/