Underquilt....

Discuss commercially made shelters.
sudden

Re: Underquilt....

Post by sudden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:27 pm

I've read pretty much the same thing for cold camping. Overall the tent will be the lighter rig due to all the insulation you have to carry for the hammock. That's what got me thinking of an air pocket instead of down fill. Thanks for all the feedback. I think it's the tent for the win in winter.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't want to discourage you from making one..By all means,do it, and let us know how it works. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 pm

realityguy wrote:I don't want to discourage you from making one..By all means,do it, and let us know how it works. :mrgreen:
Nope. Not discouraged at all. I can't sew and don't have a sewing machine. Maybe I'll do a small scale prototype one day. :ugeek:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 pm

I just listed a Huskystar 207(Husqvarna/Viking) sewing machine on craigslist for $85(reg about $200)..too bad you don't live here.Not a bad machine..I just have too many!

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/596_2361.htm

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/art/2051451727.html

Of course I can ship.. ;)..Anybody?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 am

Curious just cause I haven't done it. But would lowering the hammock nearer to the ground so that you could use ground items to push up around the hammock bottom and UQ to block any other air and effectively lessen the air gap work? I do think a test is in order.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am

I think I'd lower it to a level of the thickness of a thermarest pad and use a hammock tarp with ends on it to enclose the area around the hammock completely..The problem is..then some people call that a "tent". :lol:
The main thing is to stop the air movement under your hammock which removes the heat factor of what your body has produced above.if your idea does that,it may be a useful item.You might want to try sewing together a couple of the windshield covers..or buy some of the bubblewrap insulation from lowes and make a fence around the hammock with some rocks set on the bottom edge(ground) to seal it off down there.Duct tape the curtain to the hammock sides.An indoor/outdoor thermometer set up with a copper wire probe could be installed in the lower area sealed under the hammock to see how well it works and at what temperature that area remains through the night.Every two hours or so..wake up,stop shivering,and check the temperature on the dual thermometer and record it.
Your report is due next monday... :lol:

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Well, I will be in the North GA mountains this weekend trout fishing. The curtain idea is doable as I always take large contractor trash bags camping with me. They make great wind blocks, rain suits, vapor barriers, etc.... Good stuff to have. I'll let ya know how much I freeze, er I mean how it goes. LOL!

Also, point taken on the tent comment. However, due to trading my tent for the hammock I no longer have a BPing tent. :roll: Oh well. I'm making due with what I have. Yes it is heavier. But yes, it is more comfy. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Large silnylon tarp that extends to the ground to block the prevailing winds sound like it should work.

Don't listen to me :mrgreen: I have not slept in a hammock as of today :lol:

This winter in my greenhouse I'll sleep in one. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I got to setup my hammock all of about 10 minutes this weekend. More testing to be done. Will report back.

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 pm

JBRanger wrote:I got to setup my hammock all of about 10 minutes this weekend. More testing to be done. Will report back.
The fishing must have been good if you only had 10 minutes to spare :)