Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Discuss commercially made shelters.
zelph

Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Post by zelph » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:37 am

A group of hearty hangers gathered to share their hanging expertise in Northern Minnesota for three days last weekend. Here are some of their videos taken at that time. fourdogstoves hosted the gathering and set up the nice accommodations. All froze their butts no doubt :D

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Re: Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Post by JBRanger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Since I've become a "hammocker", I've come to the conclusion that while yes it is comfy I can't say it's worth the trade offs. I have to take nearly twice the gear as opposed to ground dwelling just to stay warm and comfy. Along with that, the gear is doubly expensive it seems since it's so specialized.

Honestly, I think I'd just rather deal with the ground in the winter months. Way less bugs so real need for netting, much less weight once you get over the fear of sleeping under a tarp.

Also, even in a hammock, I've gotten the same hours of sleep as on the ground due to my mind not being able to shut off. It's everything that's around me in the woods that I hear at night. It keeps me awake. Sometimes, the silence does as well. Really strange.

Still, I'll carry my hammock for all other times. But for winter, I'll more than likely go to ground. I have seen that carrying less weight is more fun.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:56 pm

I'll be cutting a 15 degree down sleeping bag(Blue Magoo) in half pretty soon and sewing the bottom back around a hammock as the underquilt as part of the hammock itself ,only just for colder weather use...designating that equipment for the cooler times of year.Hopefully being a "one piece unit" will eliminate a lot of extra crap that needs to be carried..other than a tarp and normal hanging gear.
I can understand your feelings since one of the late season trips out to the coast and a cold breeze off the water kept me awake and cold all night in the hammock.
I figure the "sewn-on" underquilt won't be compressed,move,or other problems usually associated with them and the top side will have the zipper actually sewn in line with the outer portion but on the inside of the hammock itself(sandwiching the hammock material),and outside of a thermarest pocket inside the hammock.If it needs more warmth,I'll be able to add a foil windshield cover or two or something similar to hopefully keep the heat in.
Hopefully making it one unit will keep the weight to a reasonable amount..say maybe 4-5 pounds for bag-hammock and tarp,plus all hanging gear.I may use a larger tarp that will reach the ground for enclosing the entire thing,plus the ends to reduce the wind factor also.If I can't stay within the weigh parameters(by weighing the portions beforehand),it may not get done.I see no reason to flog a dead horse... :roll:
JBRanger..as I've said before..the costs are very minimal if you sew your own and look for bargains.Most of my hammocks have run about $15-20 to make,including the tarps..but I haven't been concerned with 1.1 silnylon or the "color" of what I can get for dirt cheap!The last Blue Magoo I found has some stains but the $15 orice made it worthwhile to buy..and cut for a project..since I have another identical one in better condition.With the two matching bags,I can actually compare the results camping in the backyard.."if" I get the project done.Right now that's a big "IF". ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:12 pm

I have seen that carrying less weight is more fun.

+1

Nice videos. But I don't see the last video: I get a white screen. :|

realityguy, Have you considered becomming a "personal shopper"?

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Okay, well I see your points but still. My hammock of choice was the HH Exped. It has the bottom entry. However, for a lot of ideas you need a side entry type hammock (i.e. hammock socks, etc). I am thinking of sending mine to some folks to have that mod done for minimal cost. It just adds options. Still, I could carry a thermarest, my old TT Contrail and my sleeping bag and get equal sleep (read about being kept awake above) and have 2-3 pounds less weight to carry. Doesn't sound like a lot but trust me, it is.

Less weight just makes the whole experience so much better.

Maybe I should grab a double Eno or similar and do a pod with it. Lighter weight for winter time (dont need bug net), side entry, etc.... Hrmm....

Just have a winter hammock setup. I originally liked the idea of one hammock to do it all, but it seems to be easier to have a winter and summer setup. The Eno's can be had dirt cheap and are REALLY lightweight. Hrmm.... Double Eno, HH Assym fly, Nice fluffy UQ or pod setup....

Darn you. Grr... some people. Putting thoughts into others heads and now I must go spend some cash. Dangit. :lol: :DB:

I'll give it more thought.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey! I have a $12.95 "on sale" Grand Trunk Travel hammock.

I was going to add the JRB Mt. Washington "convertible" system, one piece at a time.

Now, I think the JRB Rocky Mountain Sniveler in 800-proof down or, perhaps, the JRB High Sierra Sniveler in 900-proof down "wearable quilt" may be used for a "warm camp jacket" and a packable "sleeping quilt" and a hammock "under quilt". (As a "wearable quilt" I could have The Packa over-pack jacket poncho over the top: a nice system?)

Even at that, it is still serious money. If I didn't have already have a down "belay jacket" and a "warm camp jacket" and a number of "sleep systems" and sleeping bags, I might think it was a "good deal".

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 pm

realityguy, Have you considered becoming a "personal shopper"?

I am a "personal shopper"..I shop for "myself"!..I guess I should take the "for sale" forum here and make it look like ebay. :lol: ..Hmm..maybe we should set up a "camping gear" auction house here.. ;)

JB..what I'm really thinking of is a down bag with the hammock stuffed down the middle to eliminate the compression of the bottom bag.Keep in mind that you generally keep separate summer gear from winter gear anyway..the only thing overlapping is the shelter..Why not tie the two together and eliminate the problems people seem to have with having them separate.I figure when I zip up the bag to the hammock bottom,it'll be like zipping the two portions of the bag back together again..except no compression of the bottom half because you are actually sleeping on the hammock material..or pad pocket of the thermarest material to be more precise..with the second layer below the pocket and above the uncompressed down.I like the idea that the bottom portion stays put under the hammock no matter how much you move;it's part of the hammock/bag itself.
Once a person splits a bag,sews it into two portions(zipper stays with the top half)..sews the bottom portion around its perimeter laid out to the sewn-in thermarest pocket and how you lie in the hammock..Then sew the top portion in line with the bottom portion on the upper side(away from the opening side) and across the foot(most of the foot needs to remain with the upper portion for stretching upward) and sew the bottom half zipper to the hammock itself in line with the door side of the bottom portion of the bag...Your bag becomes one again but without the compressed down,movement,unwanted shifting in the middle of the night,etc.If you get too warm,just unzip it,throw it back or and use it like a quilt..but the bottom remains in place.
Packing:Roll it up..hammock and bag as one,tie it up,compress it,and/or put it in a stuff sack..pack as one unit,ready to rehang.
The hammock I was planning on using(the brown one) is minimal,but has inside pockets on the upper sealed side and made up already with the bugscreen still on it and opens up one side only..the one I made in a day.My other main one(have made three)has higher sides and more luxury for summer camping.I'll keep the luxury one intact for summer and modify the other.
The brown one is the same inside as the green one..thermarest pad pocket and hanging side pockets..The brown one will get modified by sewing the bottom around the thermarest pocket and below the top pockets on that side.On the other hand,it might be easier sewingwise to just start with a flat layout like the green one,sew the bag in,then add the pockets/mesh..or not...something I haven't decided on yet.I've got lots of the uncoated material in both colors..but my current tarps are the green but coated.I might just sew up a new green one to match the tarps...and the wife can use the brown for warm weather if she wants to try one.
The hardest part of the project is cutting the bag in half (while cringing a bit.. :shock: ),and controlling feathers.I do have about 1-1/2 lbs of extra down in oz bags so I could also add some to the bottom portion,really poof it up.. :o ..before resewing it. and another bag I already cut/sewd in half that I quit on..on an "underquilt" idea.I can steal feathers from that instead and hang on to the new down for a better project.
See... now you've done it!Got me thinking out loud again.. :roll:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:46 pm

You are making me think! :D

Hmm... maybe you could separate the down a bit where you want to cut, stitch down two parallel lines in a long basting stitch, cut, then, make a folded over seam for each edge?

I have an old faded rather thin "summer" synthetic sleeping bag that is windproof, at least: it might afford some "underquilt" insulation.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Hmm... maybe you could separate the down a bit where you want to cut, stitch down two parallel lines in a long basting stitch, cut, then, make a folded over seam for each edge?..

That's what I'm planning.I tried it with another older bag,but unfortunately it had some holes in it and I decided it wasn't worth the effort going around the holes..why I didn't finish that project.I'm assuming I'll have yto take the zipper out first on one side(bottom) and sew that side up..to start with.
Anyhow..I didn't finish the project because of problems of underquilts moving around while you are trying to sleep,extra straps to pack to keep them in place..and just general problems I see with that idea..verses permanently attaching one in place.
The only downside I see having a permanent one is "single use"(winter or cold season only)..but being able to unzip it FULLY and use it as a quilt..gives it a more "three season" use,just not in hot summers.Having a designated "winter setup" is the same as having to maintain a heavier 4 season tent and heavier bag anyway...
It's similar to this "Cocoon IV" bag I had.. Image This thing had a ridiculous rating of like -30 degrees to +70 degrees! :shock: ..basically an inflatable down filled core that had a waterproof cover that made it's own downfilled walled shelter..that totally unzips in the summer and you didn't need to inflate the top,use it as a quilt instead!Unfortunately they retailed at $1300(without the hood,liner,etc that were each $100 extra)..and weighed right around 10lbs!It wasn't a bad rig but you better be planning a trip to Everest every weekend... :lol:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 pm

I had a Sierra Designs "Perfect" 300 sleeping bag I had Sierra Designs repair shop, In Berkeley, CA, sew in a "bound button hole" stuffed with some down in the foot end of sleeping bag. I used a Choinard Peapod "big wall" hammock inside. I rotated the sleeping bag around top, or bottom, for a little ventilation on top or at the side, whatever, because I had to leave the hood open.

I suppose I could have had two "eyelet" holes for tying off the head of the Choinard Peapod: it was most comfortable with a three point suspension.

I do think it is better to have a "good fit" to the curve of the bottom of the hammock, thus elastic is sewn in the ends and sides, or, only the ends, with a contour-cut in the sides, which is maybe "gathered" on an adjustable cord? like the ends? as well as cut on the curve?

I would think the actual shape for a "good fit" would require an "assistant" and you in the hammock in your sleeping position(s), and some stretch elastic for minor adjustments as you turn about.

I don't think this is critical.

I was "toasty warm" in my set-up, discretely suspended under the trampoline of my Hobie 16.

Last edited by ConnieD on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.