Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Discuss commercially made shelters.
zelph

Re: Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 am

Does it leave a sticky residue when peeled off? I was thinking of using stainless steel snaps. Marine grade
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:44 pm

That was a joke.. :roll: ..I wouldn't really recommend duct tape.You may not get if off of there..You'll have to use bungie cords(or homemade hooks and nylon straps or rope) or something else..I'm assuming you just want to try the idea..and not make it permanent.
I would think a rectangular bag with double zippers(ones that can unzip the foot) could just be zipped up around the hammock,couldn't it..with the side zipped up and top and bottom open?..Just a thought..Throw you and your bag in the middle of the sandwich...Then you'd need some way to seal the ends.. :?: The bridge hammock bars(and length) might create a problem there unless you have some kind of bags with holes in the end for the support system.... :?: Normal hammocks are probably easier to seal with skinnier ends but a person could do the same thing and basically just use a long large sleeping bag wrapped around the hammock and bag inside.I
if you are big or tall,the length might not work.If you are short like me..a long bag would.I might have to try that..think I've got long bags..but then you'd have to pack an extra bag..Hmm...maybe I could pack a lightweight one for inside and long one for the exterior zipped around me and the hammock.
You may wanna camp with a pee bottle rather than get out of that mess to get up and go.. :o
Once you get setup..go out and give it a try for us,will you,Zelph?..It's too warm over here for that. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Once I get the hanging system set up I'll be able to see how my bag wraps around the underside. Once I'm to that point it will go easy, ideas will flow. I'm pretty much caught up on stove inventory so I'll be able to focus.

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I have found it to be much easier (and cheaper) to get to the frozen butt temps withOUT trying to use underquilts. UQ's are very touchy and must get dialed in just right for optimal performance. However 3/4 inch of ccf, a thermarest and a garlington insulator is sufficient for below zero temps. The tradeoff is some serious bulk (ccf is a LOT of volume).

Along the Allegany Reservoir at negative double digits with 15+ mph winds. My system at the time was:

Claytor Hammock $70
8x10 Equinox SilTarp $70
xtra wide walmart blue dimpled (about 3/8in) ccf $10
normal width 3/8 inch ccf $10
thermarest small self inflating pad $30
PU nylon poncho $20
2 garbage bags free (if taken from kitchen)

My cost for the winter setup (sans sleeping bag) is approx $210 of which $140 I already had from before I started hammocking. If I was sleeping on the ground I would probably be bringing the same amount of ccf and the thermarest. The sleeping bag I use is a -20F North Face Solar Flare at $450! (I would be using that on the ground too).

My conclusion is that some make it unnecessarily complex and expensive to use a hammock in any season. That said, some are looking to maximize comfort and/or like to play with new gear. However in the claytor hammock even with all the pads it is still more comfortable than being on the ground. So for those looking to get into hammocking, you can likely use all the same gear you already have with the hammock and still have a good time!

Oh last comment since this *is* a stovie site, most people brought cannister stoves which of course did not work on the trip at those temps. I had to share my Fancee Feest stove to help others out.

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm

I forgot one thing. I will be heading out into the adirondacks this weekend; the saturday HIGH is predicted to be zero. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:08 pm

I have found it to be much easier (and cheaper) to get to the frozen butt temps withOUT trying to use underquilts. UQ's are very touchy and must get dialed in just right for optimal performance. However 3/4 inch of ccf, a thermarest and a garlington insulator is sufficient for below zero temps. The tradeoff is some serious bulk (ccf is a LOT of volume).

Very good point. I'll have to rethink my options now.

My self inflating pads on the bottom and my bag inside.

Today I got some material located where I'll be doing my hang set-up. I'm workin on it :D

Stay warm on this coming weekend adventure. Hang tight. ;)

Russ, any idea what "snow stakes" are?

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Snow stakes either refer to wider metal stakes with holes to allow for different methods for tying them off. One example is this: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/ ... cfm/SMC225

Or they refer to nylon bags in which snow is then placed and the bag buried like these: http://www.rei.com/product/725165

My method is to not bring anything. Instead, I tie off to trees, or stumps if available. If not i gather a few 2-3ft sections of downed wood about 2-3in in diameter. Around the center of these I place my guyline and then tie a slippery tautline hitch. I then bury the log with the guyline perpendicular to it. I stomp it down real good (sometimes I will even pour a bit of water on it just make sure you don't do this near where the guyline is attached). When it has "set" I then use the tautline hitch to tighten the guyline. The best part is when packing up you don't have to dig up the logs. Untie the hitch and then pull the line out from around the log while it is still buried. Another option is if you are luck to find a log/branch that is in a "T" shape. Again bury it with the longest portion parallel to the tent/tarp and leave the "t" sticking up and away from the tent. then tie off on that.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Hmm..another "peapod" type option would be to find a longer,wider girth low-temperature rated mummy bag than you usually use in down or synthetic...then cut slots across the center of the foot and the top end,..turn it inside out,seal the sides of those new holes by rolling the edge and sewing it shut.. and sew in a couple 12" zippers(If you plan on still using the bag as a bag by itself,you may want to add a couple down-filled seal strips over those zippered areas,small tabs of velcro)..and thread your hammock through those zippered ends.The side zipper access remains separate and everything else the same. :roll: Zip up the excess in those 12" zippers to snug to the ends of your hammock where it would be the appropriate position for your body,shouldn't migrate towards your foot or head because it's/you're larger in the middle.You could still use the bag by itself,the hammock by itself,or use the combo sleeping in a lighter bag(whatever you feel is necessary for ratings) inside the outer bag/hammock...Call it a "layered cocoon hammock".Pack what you deem is necessary for the trip with the additional weight/bulk of only the outer bag's weight..and maybe even get a reduction with using a lighter "liner bag" inside than what you would normally carry.That could be accomplished for pretty cheap.....Just a MYOGyver moment...The extra dollar bills left in your wallet will help you keep your butt warm.. :lol:
I pulled out my first silver hammock I made and don't use..noticed it has a fully removable bug screen...Hmm. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 pm

@russb, Your example of the REI burying a bag is what I thought of when fourdog on HF said the cut trees sticking in the snow were "snow stakes"

Here is a quote from HF and a link to to a page:

Quote:
[b]Originally Posted by MacEntyre
Them are three long sticks that Firewalker sawed from blowdowns and stuck into the snow. FourDog wanted a parallel fire four or five feet long for best effect.

Anoraks are very unflattering with a water bottle and other stuff crammed into the front pockets.

Fourdog changed his mind and used them for "snow stakes" What are snow stakes used for, never heard of them??? How deep was the snow up there that those stakes are standing upright or were they pounded into the ground? I was watching the video that "pizza" shared and was impressed how the shelter was made and heated by infra red radiation. At around minute 6:25 those snow stakes are in the forefront. Looks like they would have made nice fire wood.

You look toasty warm in your Anorak. You look like a "north woodsman" Paul Bunyan type
Quote:
fourdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovemandan View Post
What was the reason for cutting the three live trees in the foreground?

I thought that was a no no in the scheme of Leave No Trace.

Was there a community latrine pit or just individual cat holes in the frozen ground? How was the disposal of wastes handled in this type of environment?
There not live trees they are snow stakes cut from dead laying wood.

The human manure was disperesed in the envoriment to help things grow in the future.

This was not a established camp site, this was done on MN state forest land in area of 96,270 acres where the trees are harvested in a 20-30 years cycle. In that forest you have the right to camp as we did.

No live trees where killed or mutilated in this hang.

If the average person went to that spot this spring they will not even know we where there.

We took a much larger dump on mother earth on the petrol we used to get there then we did there. At worse we left it the same, at best we left it better.

fourdog
[/b]

Here is a photo of the snow stakes in the foreground. The two guys are the ones mentioned in the above quote. MacEntyre (on the left) said they were to be used in the fire that we see in the photo. The other guy is fourdog (fourdog stoves) he said they were snow stakes.:
Attachments
snow stakes.jpg

russb

Post by russb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm

My guess is those "snow stakes" were cut sections of logs just stuck into the snow for easy access. They would then be used as I described in my post.