Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Discuss commercially made shelters.
realityguy

Re: Hanging Hammocks in winter Frozen Butt Hang

Post by realityguy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I always wanted to sail a couple Hobie 16s on Puget Sound and hit the San Juans and camp that way,as you were talking but sleeping on the tramp with a tarp over the boom..My brother had(probably still has) a 16' and an 18' on a lake(Lake Cavanaugh) about 60 miles from here.We did a lot of sailing and flying hulls on that lake,all the way across the lake up on one hull..about a mile across.My brother had the "easy-righter" system on the 16' that with a quick release allows an extra 24" or so on the guy wire on the downwind side..top when laying over on its side)when you have the wind help you right it allowing the mast to lean over farther,and allowing more boat/hull weight to help a single lighter weight person right the boat after going over..pretty handy system!There were some times I was glad he had it.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 am

I have sailed an E scow on Lake Washington, and, a 505 in college at Lake Whatcom.

I brought my Hobie, up to Bellingham, WA to explore the American and Canadian San Juans. (The persons I stored the boat with have stolen it - they ran out the "back door" when I had got out of the wheelchair from an injury.)

I, too, used a tarp over the boom and napped on the trampoline. The under the trampoline set-up was for a downpour of cold rain.

I had the Hobie 16 on San Francisco Bay. It was my experience we had to "slow down" to pick up the hull. I had a "farmer john" wetsuit made, but it was a "dry boat". I did want to take precautions against getting in the water, which I never did. Only my Romika boots got wet beaching/launching on the beach in the cove at Angel Island (like a travel magazine or a slick brochure).

The "set-up" was performed by Christopher Wren, John Beery Yachts, Sausalito, CA. I mention this, because we had a "screaming reach" on Richardson Bay from the bird sanctuary along the Tiburon bluffs all the way to Racoon Straight. The beautifully tuned rigging "sang" musically. It was a magical experience, in the "good sense".

Little Boat: lime green hulls, alternating blue and white panels mainsail. solid light blue jib. solid light blue trampoline. white, light blue, and flecked light blue and white lines. Lovely "Little Boat".

I had an Episcopal priest do the "boat blessing" and we tasted the champagne in the Presidio Yacht Club, afterward, enjoying the view. Episcopalians drink the wine: Taylor New York State Extra Dry. The Rev. Richard Deitch wore a cassock and a beanie with a tassle at the top. The yacht club members were impressed.

I had seen a "boat blessing" at a Columbus Day celebration. I asked, there is a "boat blessing" in an Episcopal priest's Missal.

Anyway, some of us have been "hammocking" long before anyone thought about "hammocking" for backpacking.

We even had a hammock on a take-apart metal frame for our backyard.

It looks like you could float that thing! :shock:

Is that part of a "personal floatation device" for Alaskan waters?

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:43 am

...you know, if you had velcro on the sides, you could make a "hammock sandwich".

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:54 am

Actually a lot of the reviews were from Alaska on the old site..I always wondered if you could set up on a pond.I never did use it,except maybe a test on the back deck.It did have tieouts for hanging off cliffs or wherever you didn't quite have enough area to "pitch it".Basically it was a one person base camp shelter for everest or other higher elevation climbing.
I remember one of the reviewers was an Iditarod runner who had his dog in with him in a blizzard.Next night he said he got too hot and kicked the dog out.Another person said he'd bought one,slept in it camping,then ended up setting it up at home forever because it was more comfortable than his bed.
Some other ambitious soles in alaska wanted to test the toughness of the thing and the lifetime guarantee so tied it to the back of a quadrunner,stuck an idiot inside and took off across the tundra!They said it worked fine except for a small outside tear on the edge(not in the inflated portion) and the only moisture inside was "from nervous perspiration of the inhabitant that went for the ride".
I finally sold it to a river rafting guide for $300 because he had one already but his wife didn't..she was awful pissed about that and he had to do something to ease that tension when they went out together.
It was a goodwill buy for $12...came out in a big bin with other down stuff.Heck..I thought I was buying a quilt until I looked it over really good and discovered what it really was. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 am

I finally watched most of the videos(white out on the last on for met too ,Connie).I think I'd pass on that trip.My God..those guys are packing about 20+lbs of sleep gear apiece. :o Appears pretty much the same ideas for most of the setups but more than one underquilt apiece...or everything they owned stuffed around them.Condensation seems to be a major problem for all of them...lots of frost from it inside where it shouldn't be.
Brrrr..You guys can keep that weather..I'll stick to the 40-50 degrees we are having here... :lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 pm

ConnieD wrote:
I have seen that carrying less weight is more fun.
+1

Nice videos. But I don't see the last video: I get a white screen. :|

realityguy, Have you considered becomming a "personal shopper"?

It was my editing error :o

I re-did it and it is now in place. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 am

In regards to sewing the sleeping bag back together. It seems to me that you'd run out of material. The sleeping bag top (and maybe bottom too) would have to account for some sag. Is this right?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 pm

The sleeping bag should just follow the body contours when it is in there...The top would be free-floating as it normally would be over the body.The main idea is that you aren't compressing the bottom layer of down because of your body weight on it as it would "on the ground".The air infiltration under a hammock is terrible because a bag bottom inside gets compressed down to nothing and suspended in mid-air,losing it's potential insulation factor.The pea pod appears to be basically a sleeping bag sewn around the hammock.My difference would be to have the top layer inside the bug mesh and be able to unzip it.It would also be fluffier and conform more to the body if it is free and not part of the exterior(the top half of the bag)hammock top side.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm going to try to attach my down bag on the underside up around to the side rails of my bridge hammock. I'll use another down bag inside the hammock as a quilt and see how that works.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm going to try to attach my down bag on the underside up around to the side rails of my bridge hammock. I'll use another down bag inside the hammock as a quilt and see how that works.
Use #611 for ..duct tape...

:lol: