first aid kit

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
SSDD

Re: first aid kit

Postby SSDD » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:07 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:the smallest i've been able to get mine is ...

4 bandades
4 butterfly bandages
1 large bandade
1 feminine pad ( for a large pressure bandage)
1 resaelable tube of super glue
1 roll or non-wax non-flavor dental floss
1 small needle
6 advil
4 alieve
4 pepcid complete
1 package burn cream
4 alcohol pads

i keep para cord and duct tape in my pack

thats about it. any thing you think i might be missing?

Swap out your Alcohol prep pads for Iodine prep pads
also a stright needle will be a PITA if used for sutures I would swap it out for a suture kit

hoz, I had a friend like that also and I am like that but only when I am Rock Crawling or times I don't have it on my back :lol:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Ok his one for the first aid or in a work shop or house.Cayenne red pepper pore it on a cut it stop bleeding i know done it twice already table saw cut and a knife cut plus many more use look it up you see oh good on food also :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 am

alright guys now that we have covered the fak, what do you use to put it in. i was using a hard plastic water tight container but i feel that i need something else. i was thinking smaller and softer. i keep everything in sealable bags but i want to put the little bags in other than a bigger bag.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

How about some NoDoz or benzedrine tablets? I know there good for survival kits.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:40 am

I put mine in a canvas first aid kit bag its about 5 x 8. I looked for a long time to find something I liked and then one day I just saw a soft sided first aid kit in the store. The kit really didn't have anything I didn't already have or needed I just bought it for the bag. Might be an option My kit is much larger than yours though. But it includes my survival kit and my repair kit. Once upon a time it all fit tightly inside a one quart freezer bag. Then I just thought to myself one day if some one else had to go through my pack to find the first aid kit how would they quickly identify it. So I decided to upgrade to the water proof canvas first aid pouch that was bright red with a nice white reflective stripe on it that had First Aid Kit printed on it in big bold letters. I've some nice pouches like these around that would be suitable for smaller kits like you've been discussing. Some of the online places that sell them might even give you one on the cheap if you tell them your kits good to go but the pouch has worn out over time and you just need to replace worn out one you purchased from them in the past to protect your kit. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 pm

My first aid kit is pretty small, I think it's 6oz. It all goes into a sandwich size ziplock bag and then into my things-I-never-use-stuff-sack.

First Aid
1 3.5x4 inch moleskin pad
2 2x2 inch gauze pad
2 regular size bandage strips
2 smaller size bandage strips
2 sterile cotton swabs
1 sterile surgical blade, No.22
4 aspirin
1 small dropper bottle of Bactine
1 small tube of liquid bandage

Also in my things-I-never-use-stuff-sack is another sandwich size ziplock bag with a stripped out survival kit.

2 Esbit tabs
4 tinders
1 small roll of duct tape
1 small spool of wire
1 small spool of thread
1 small spool of fish line
1 plastic tube with: 4 safety pins, 2 small lead weights, 2 fish line swivels, 2 hooks
1 plastic signal mirror
1 needle (I think! It might be in the tube.)

I just noticed that I also tossed 4 wet-wipes from the gas station in there and a tube of 10 glucose tablets. Oh, and I also put my small bottle of Dr. Bronners soap in that stuff sack.

Maybe I should re-evaluate what I have. Some Benadryl and Advil would be nice. Of course, when I'm out hiking I'm usually with other people and they also carry stuff. If only one person is hurt there should be enough stuff between everyone to do the job. If everyone is hurt, well, then your screwed anyway.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Oh, I should also mention that I usually go out hiking with my brother. He's got this weird Armageddon-phobia-Doomsday-fetish thing going on. :lol: OK, so maybe that's not funny, I don't know. All I know is that he has a currier style bag he carries every day with some small stuff; space blanket, knife, fire steel, bandages, you name it. (What if the building he's in collapses? That's what he thinks about.) He just got done putting together a winter survival kit for the car. It's a normal size backpack full of gear, food and even water.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at him. If anything ever goes wrong he's the first guy I'd want around. I just don't have the patience to put together those kinds of kits or the will to carry it around. But anyways, the point is that when I'm hiking with him I know he has first aid and survival stuff too. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Everybody should have a 72 hour kit ready to go. MN can have ice storms and huge amounts of snow accumilation at any time.

You have no matches in with your tinders ;) Hypothermia kills.

dlarson
Site Admin

Postby dlarson » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:46 pm

zelph wrote:You have no matches in with your tinders ;) Hypothermia kills.

I have two Bic lighters that I carry and a fire steel.
I think I'm set in the fire department. Also, I don't have the gear for winter camping yet so hypothermia it not very likely. It's never been any colder than 55-60 degrees (f) on my trips and that's only been at night.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

One time I had a good case of food poisoning I suspect. I was at home, thermostat set at 60, early winter. Lower intestinal pains, hershey squirts every 10 min. after my system had cleared, I'm laying on the living room floor trying to recouperate and all of a sudden I start getting the "Shivers". Uncontrollable shivering, I cranked the heat up and went through the motions of trying to get warmed up. While I'm going through this ordeal I'm able to give thought to what I had been learning about hypothermia. it was clearly evident that we need to do all we can to prevent getting into the early stages of hypothermia "shivering". In that state I was not able to function very well at all. No way could I get down close to the ground and go through the motions of making a fire. Scary!!!!!

Return to “General”