Petrolium Jelly stove fuel?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Petrolium Jelly stove fuel?

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:51 pm

Lots of people put petrolium jelly on cotton balls to enhance their fire making abilities, right?

That gave me the idea to try it as stove fuel.

I used a tea lite tin with the thin fiberglass cloth that some of you may have by now. I cut it so it will be 1/16 of an inch above the rim of the tin. Filled it with PJ 7/8's full. Lit it and watched how it burned. After all of it had melted and was in full burn mode I put a container of water on top of it and lowered it slowly up and down to see the flame patern change at different heights. The best height seemed to be 1/4 inch above the tin.

When it cools, it turns to jelly again. Pretty neat stuff!!!!

I'm thinking of using stainless mesh as an internal pot support to see what happens. Kinda like the Fancy Feast design. Pot size to be one cup. Just something to play around with. See if we can get it to burn clean.

Use the PJ as an alternate fuel source and one that can be carried without fear of spilling.

It would be a multi purpose item. Lip balm, wound cover, lubricant, water proofer and more.

I tested this idea only once this weekend. Something to keep in mind when you get bored :)

This stuff may have a use in lightweight stoves. What do you think?

Note: keep the wick as short as you can to have the cleanest burn.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Petrolium Jelly stove fuel?

Post by oops56 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Sure you wait till late at night to tell us my shop is in a deep freeze and my pj just might be frozen mine in squeeze tubes. how but just two up right wicks in the middle or the cloth in a small circle in middle.well i just got some new socks and hat out i go about 1 a. m. its 19F right now.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:01 am

Dang , OOPS ! That is a tad on the chilly side. Sounds like old man winter is upon you. What is your location? Where does my ebay stovie competition hail from? :lol: Petrolium Jelly , now that's an interesting thought. It might be cheaper than using denatured alcohol. Not carrying liquid would be awesome but would it be heavier and what kinf of measurement do you use to boil 2 cups of water? Would it be like Brilcream---just a little dab will do ya :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:03 am

Well zelph i got mine to work cant see no smoke so little made it like the ring of fire
got 3 picture be back
I had to put a little alcohol to get it started the x pot stand is 3/4 hi.
At first i did not burn to good flame not touch pot i took out the ring that holds the fiberglass in just let stand up by it self plus it was folder in half not time i forgot to get the time i went in the shop grab whet i need did in the house fix better later do time burn and boil time oh tis is a small shoe polish can so you can put cover on have ready we need with pj in it

New test i took out the ring that holds the wick used some paper clips 4 bent at right angel
weld to can . Can is 2 in. o. d. put this much in burn time 8 min. 16 oz water got to 185F just some soot on bottom none up side next time 3 strip of pj should do it

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:36 am

New up date got it to work not bad

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:03 pm

oops56 wrote:New up date got it to work not bad

Nice goin Oops. Thanks for the quick research results. The shoe polish can is a great idea. Ridgerunners Moonlite tin will work well also to keep it covered in transit.

The down side is it's hard to light with such a short wick sticking up.(just had a thought!!! put a few drops of denatured in the center of tin to get it started) I'll try that after this post.

Both of you, Ridgerunner and Oops must be on the same parralel. does Deluth get lake effect temps 10 degrees warmer near the lake?

These are photos of this mornings test. Start at the bottom photo first to follow sequence of photos being taken.

Image Lowered to the cleanest burning height 1/4 inch approx.
Image Start lowering the 1 ounce glass pot :)
Image Freewheeling maxi burn (dirty) and bright. Use as light producing torch. Another use for PJ fuel.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:39 pm

zelph wrote:
oops56 wrote:New up date got it to work not bad

Nice goin Oops. Thanks for the quick research results. The shoe polish can is a great idea. Ridgerunners Moonlite tin will work well also to keep it covered in transit.

The down side is it's hard to light with such a short wick sticking up.(just had a thought!!! put a few drops of denatured in the center of tin to get it started) I'll try that after this post.

Both of you, Ridgerunner and Oops must be on the same parralel. does Deluth get lake effect temps 10 degrees warmer near the lake?

These are photos of this mornings test. Start at the bottom photo first to follow sequence of photos being taken.

Image Lowered to the cleanest burning height 1/4 inch approx.
Image Start lowering the 1 ounce glass pot :)
Image Freewheeling maxi burn (dirty) and bright. Use as light producing torch. Another use for PJ fuel.

The pot i used was ss and 3-1/2 od. i got some sterno pots alum 6 in o d i think it get a better boil time etc.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Good job oops, keep us updated. I'm using the small tea lite tin burner. Keeping it small for the initial tests :D

I'm going back out and try the alky primer. :)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:19 pm

Well did one more test with a sterno pot alum 6 o. d. took 11 min. for a boil steam out of cover but a wind screew i think it boil faster. thats next later.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Well this time i used a windscreen with the sterno pot 7 min. rolling boil but more soot up sides maybe pot should be a little higher and bigger air holes at bottom more testing to do.