Mystery Tool 67

A hand held tool or device, see if you can guess what it is.
Vibe

Re: Mystery Tool 67

Post by Vibe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:12 pm

DarenN wrote:i'm tellin' youse guys it's a freakin' spill plane! :P

just like this-un: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=720

Daren.......

I think you are correct. Except this looks like a more "industrial" mass produced cast Iron version of the hand made craftsman's type shown previously.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:13 pm

Vibe wrote:I think you are correct. Except this looks like a more "industrial" mass produced cast Iron version of the hand made craftsman's type shown previously.

yep! that's what i thought too. a modern ancient tool.

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 pm

DarenN wrote:
Vibe wrote:I think you are correct. Except this looks like a more "industrial" mass produced cast Iron version of the hand made craftsman's type shown previously.

not so much modern, as simply part of the industrial revolution. A gaslighters spill plane before streetlights. Or a bartenders.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm

Vibe wrote:
DarenN wrote:

not so much modern, as simply part of the industrial revolution. A gaslighters spill plane before streetlights. Or a bartenders.

yeah, i get ya. i can see the progression through the industrial revolution. a lot of the tools i use in metal work haven't changed much since the early 1900's.

Daren..........

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Daren, what makes you think it's a "Spill Plane"?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 pm

zelph wrote:Daren, what makes you think it's a "Spill Plane"?

I can see the resemblance to the previous example in his link -though I think that the blade angle is wrong for that purpose, and the "spill" opening looks restricted.
And it's hard to tell if that is a pivoting base, or an adjustment relating to the two screws on the exit end base.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Vibe wrote:

I can see the resemblance to the previous example in his link -though I think that the blade angle is wrong for that purpose, and the "spill" opening looks restricted.
And it's hard to tell if that is a pivoting base, or an adjustment relating to the two screws on the exit end base.

Where is the resemblance?

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:26 pm

the resembalence is in the tool aspect, that is, the function performed on the object, not in the appearance or materials of the tool. a yellow wood pencil and a marks-a-lot don't look much alike, but they both put a dark line on a paper.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:27 pm

what makes you think it isn't? :lol: just look at it. the square downward legs on the left side obviously designed to hook over the edge of a table. look at the taper of the mouth (were the spill exits). it's made so that the shaving curls around itself to form the spill. it's true that the rake of the blade edge is a bit excessive, but it may have been an attempt to make it easier to push the stock through (it does help to cant a plane when cutting).

the two screws are nothing more than a blade clamp. in the pic, you can just see the tail end of the blade hanging out the bottom of the boss.

if it isn't a spill plane it would sure as hell make spills anyways!! :P

""Where is the resemblance?""

how can you not see the resemblance?
Daren.........

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:the resembalence is in the tool aspect, that is, the function performed on the object, not in the appearance or materials of the tool. a yellow wood pencil and a marks-a-lot don't look much alike, but they both put a dark line on a paper.

thank you, Mister Krabs. well put!! :D