Coffee

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
realityguy

Re: Coffee

Post by realityguy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Looking through what amazon has to offer in a french press..came across this 10 oz hiking one for a reasonable price..http://www.amazon.com/GSI-GSIO-73410-Ou ... d_sbs_sg_2

Of course they also had an automobile brake bleeder in the same group.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Did someone say coffee :lol: :lol:

I just know you ask whats the silver box one well

Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:36 pm

That is Kewl ,Oops !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Knotty

Post by Knotty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:08 am

The easiest way to make a good cup of coffee on the trail is to use Starbuck Via.

Throw out all your preconceived ideas about instant coffee. If you like Starbucks coffee, you'll probably like Via. Comes in Columbian and Italian Roast. The Italian is the bolder, and my favorite.

There's an extensive discussion about it here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... rbucks+via .

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:19 am

Oops have you every given the alumium box kit a wet trial run?
DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:I'm not a coffee drinker so educate me on why a press instead of just letting gravity do the job through a paper filter?
everyone knows that drip coffee is inferior to pressed coffee. it's a law of nature.

paper filters are a pain to deal with in areas where fires are banned. i definately don't want to have to carry soggy paper coffee filters throughout the course of a trip. i've tried the s/s mesh drip filter idea and it didn't yeild a decent cup of coffee.
If the beans are ground fine as in instant coffee would that work better in a drip system? Is it the amount of time the water spends on the grounds that determins quality of the taste. Explain the law of nature. Dig a 2" deep hole and put the soggy filter in it. Worms like coffee grounds and paper. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:08 am

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:I'm not a coffee drinker so educate me on why a press instead of just letting gravity do the job through a paper filter?
everyone knows that drip coffee is inferior to pressed coffee. it's a law of nature.

paper filters are a pain to deal with in areas where fires are banned. i definately don't want to have to carry soggy paper coffee filters throughout the course of a trip. i've tried the s/s mesh drip filter idea and it didn't yeild a decent cup of coffee.
What gets me is folks who claim this law of nature and then fill up their press with coffee that was ground a month ago in another country.

I'll put up my freshly ground community french roast in a skidsteer drip against a press any day. :DP:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 am

What gets me is folks who claim this law of nature and then fill up their press with coffee that was ground a month ago in another country.

I'll put up my freshly ground community french roast in a skidsteer drip against a press any day.
I tried a pepper grinder as a coffee grinder and it worked. I'll search whiteblaze and see if I can comeup with the photos. :D

Could you imagine using one on the trail and waking up your neighbor to fresh ground coffee and then to fresh brewed coffee aroma in the air.........while cooking bacon and eggs

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:58 pm

I tried the coffee-filter-with-a-stick method when car camping with friends two summers ago. It worked OK but I had to use two sticks to prevent the grounds from spilling and sometimes the filters ripped.

Cowboy coffee was phase two. I just threw the grounds into the pot and let them settle to the bottom before drinking. This worked pretty well but could be finicky at times.

These days I still use the cowboy coffee method but with an added trick from my good friend Sam H. He has been grinding the grounds extremely fine like you would for espresso, or better yet, Turkish coffee. The extra fine silt-like grounds settle to the bottom of the pot easily and without effort.

This is about the lightest coffee system I can think of.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 am

Cowboy coffee is the way to go If I drank coffee. Ions ago, my brother and I did the cowboy method. There is an old secret way to make the grounds settle to the bottom and stay there. Anyone want to give the secret away :D

Today I remembered the way I altered the pepper grinder. I took it apart and held the base, that still had the handle attached, cupped in my left hand, put the beans in my cupped hand also and turned the handle. Had to turn slow so the beans wouldn't rise up and out of my hand. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:04 am

zelph wrote:Cowboy coffee is the way to go If I drank coffee. Ions ago, my brother and I did the cowboy method. There is an old secret way to make the grounds settle to the bottom and stay there. Anyone want to give the secret away :D

Today I remembered the way I altered the pepper grinder. I took it apart and held the base, that still had the handle attached, cupped in my left hand, put the beans in my cupped hand also and turned the handle. Had to turn slow so the beans wouldn't rise up and out of my hand. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)
yup just add a little cold water to it
Man play with fire man get burnt