THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Re: THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 pm

just tinkering wrote:BTW - I have found that if you file the top crimp of the soda cans that you can get a smoother, and slightly larger openning.

Good luck,

Jon
Thanks for the tip Jon. If I had filed the edge on my can top it would have been easier to get the Beaner in.

<I then inserted the Beaner into the can. It was a little bit tight but made it fit without deforming the can, fits like a glove. So were off to a real good start.
Next I'll make the holes in the can and then a test burn.>

ImageImageImage
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Here is the first test results:

ImageImageImage

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:57 pm

So would it be safe to assume that you are not a happy camper when it comes to the beaner stove? :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:So would it be safe to assume that you are not a happy camper when it comes to the beaner stove? :roll:
I have no money but lots of patience :D I will try several more times.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm sorry but the stove is nonreturnable..You made it wrong and abused the product!You can't use diet popcans! :o They starve the stove for fuel and air! :roll:

4 tries..well ..you either froze to death,starved/or the bear ate you for giving him your uncooked dinner by that time!

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:56 pm

i took the top off my out can the same way that Jon suggests and the openning was way too big. like 1/8" gap all around. i shrunk the top of the can so it fit tighter and still didn't get a satisfactory burn, although i'd have to say i got better results than Zelph did. at least i didn't have to relight it. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:57 pm

DarenN wrote:i took the top off my out can the same way that Jon suggests and the openning was way too big. like 1/8" gap all around. i shrunk the top of the can so it fit tighter and still didn't get a satisfactory burn, although i'd have to say i got better results than Zelph did. at least i didn't have to relight it. ;)
What did you use for fuel 2nd try?

I went out and picked some bigger twigs for tomorrows test. Only found 1 pine cone. Did you use pine cone pieces?

By relighting, I gave the stove the benefit of a doubt.

A post made at Hammock Forums today
pedro 02-19-2010 19:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerminator (Post 212732)
Oops-It seems that refilling these beaners/en stoves mid burn is tall order.

Good test and info. :)
IME, the EN will allow some fuel to be added mid-burn, but the it's very hard to do this with the beaner. I was able to boil water with the beaner, but only using pellets. IIRC it took something like 10 min. for 2 cups.

I think that both problems relate to the small diameter of the beaner. Smaller diameter= lower horsepower. These stoves are manufactured from stock stainless steel welded tubing, or I am very much mistaken. The idea of using a tubing dia. that allows the end user to make an outer jacket from a soda can is very clever, but as I stated before, it doesn't look like this design has any practical application as a backpacking stove. It does do a wonderful job of showing how efficient gasification can be. My choice would still be between an EN stove or a Penny/Garlington variant. The point made of char build-up preventing refueling after a time is a very good one. That problem could reduce the attraction of the TLOD, as the ability to reload mid-burn was one of the selling points for me. I don't personally need that long of a burn, but if I were cooking for others it would be nice. I have a couple of ideas that I will play with.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 pm

first burn was alcohol. big gap at the top of the outer can.

second burn was alcohol. no gap.

third burn was wood, and one pine cone.

i haven't done any further testing yet. broken up pine cones will be next. i can pick up hundreds of the damn things in my yard.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 pm

i haven't done any further testing yet. broken up pine cones will be next. i can pick up hundreds of the damn things in my yard.
Do you heat your garage with the cones?

On the back burner is a stove to heat my garage with course sawdust. When I get time ;)

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:16 pm

zelph wrote:Do you heat your garage with the cones?
no, i don't get that many. but i do pick them up and save them for my small woodstoves and backyard fires.