SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Useful information that may come in handy in an emergency situation. It can be hiking related or any other area of every day life situations. Icestorms, huricanes, tornados, floods etc.
ConnieD

Re: SPARK-LITE Fire Starter

Post by ConnieD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:10 pm

I didn't know the flint is replaceable on my "standard" SPARK-LITE.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:27 pm

ConnieD wrote:I didn't know the flint is replaceable on my "standard" SPARK-LITE.

It's not. I have modified(drilled and tapped) a dozen and made them to be replaceable. I'm working on something that will allow a more permanent way to attach a lanyard.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Nice. Replaceable flints.

I think slip-on tubing and lanyard hole would do the job.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Appears you built the better mousetrap..! ;) Now everybody that sells them will be copying you..
I keep clicking on your picture to see how long your flint will last..appears to be doing pretty good. :roll:
I'm wondering what will give out first,the flint or your thumb... :lol:

I'm glad you looked at my post as something other than criticism. Unfortunately some people only see that side;whereas I saw a "possible flaw" and you corrected an "army issue problem"(we've got millions of them,we can always issue the soldier another one.Hmm..I wonder how many guvmint scientists worked how many days to develop that for how much money it cost the public..and still got it wrong... :roll:

:lol:

***Edit:Correction:Yes I do understand it was initially probably made by a private contractor,whereas it went through a panel of highly paid guvmint inspectors that "flicked their bic" several times thinking "How kewl is this!"..and we can pick up a million for only $10 a piece with military appropriation funds. :roll: ..only to later fall into the hands of lightweight hikers thinking "How kewl is this!". :DB: :DB: . I'm sorry..my thinking process goes well beyond what it should sometimes. :roll: Sometimes my brain gets stuck in Escher-transitional-metamorphic-mode.I attribute it too too many shots of espresso in the morning... :mrgreen: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:42 pm

I didn't know my SPARK-LITE had kewl factor. I do think the flintsteel scraped across the top of a Fancee Feest stove has kewl factor.

Actually, the SPARK-LITE is much nicer than a BIC-type lighter, which I can't use well.

The "wheel" is bigger, softer on the finger or thumb, and right out there in the open.

I recommend expresso, followed by swiss water-process decaf.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 pm

I like the big wheel also.

Here are some options for attaching a lanyard to the Spark-Lite. Give me your opinions on which one to use or should I just include a piece of tubing and a complete swivel. You can use it if you want or just let it be as is.

In the foreground you can see how long the stainless steel screw is and how deep it goes into the unit.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:58 pm

I like the swivel.

I also like the surgical tubing and the swivel.

The swivel is a good feature. I like best the choice to use it, or not, by removing the surgical tubing.

I know it resists being pulled off. I assume it rolls off.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Can you get a small stainless eyebolt in the same thread as the screw?Kill two birds with one stone. ;)

As I was checking out with some stuff at home depot the other day..they had some small carabiners that had three split rings through holes..interesting..so I bought a couple.I'll edit a photo here.The carabiner itself is about 2-1/4" long without the rings..I think they were $1.88.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:05 pm

I see a lot of posts about using innertube as part of a fire starting kit because it can be used in wet conditions. The surgical tubing (if it acts the same) might be seen as a complete fire starting kit.However, I've yet to see someone lite an innertube with a spark.

Is the screw also a part of making the flint replaceable? If so, can the screw be removed (even with difficulty) with one of the swivels (just thinking dual purpose)?

If you don't care about a little extra length of tubing, you could pack the tube with some twine, push it onto the sparker, and tie it off. Now you have it all covered :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Around here they fish for steelhead in rivers with a surgical tubing "dropper" setup using 1/4" diameter stick lead and a swivel stuck through/across the other end of the tubing.if it snags on bottom,you give it a sharp tug and usually only lose the lead,easy to put on a new one by the 'roll" method or change the amount of weight needed in different sections of the river to keep your gear "ticking' on the bottom.You could use the same principle with the swivel shoved through across one end of the tubing to keep it closed..stuff your 'tinder' in the tube,then roll up and back down over the end of the sparker to complete am emergency set with the tinder enclosed in the tube,swivel at one end and sparker at the other.You can fold over the end of the tubing,then stick the swivel's sharp end through it to make it watertight...split ring on the round end of the swivel.