Work in progress: Tent floor liner

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
sarbar

Work in progress: Tent floor liner

Postby sarbar » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:08 am

When I get it done I will post photos, especially after I have a chance to test it in the newly falling snow here in Washington.....I am hoping to get a test in the next 2 weeks.

I am using the material I use for my cozies to make a custom floor liner for my solo tent - so that I won't be so cold this winter. Normally I have to carry two pads for winter: a blue pad and my ladies Prolite 3 to be warm. What I hate more than anything is when I roll off my pad and wake up with a frozen foot. I also hate when I am sitting up in my sleeping bag, making some tea outside of the vestibule, and I have to sit on the cold floor. No thanks. I get very easily in winter due to my meds, so I am always thinking of ways to stay warm.

In the past I have wasted emergency blankets, where I line the whole floor, and up the lower walls. This works, it really works to stop the cold (it also blocks the wind and rain as well)...but, E blankets are not exactly known for their "quiet factor". Sleeping next to someone using one is akin to listening to someone on a Big Agnes Aircore pad on a silnylon floor all night......

So it occurred to me this summer to use the Insul Bright fabric to make a floor liner, custom fit. The fabric is washable, breathable and the core of it is mylar (ie..E blankets). It is ok in durability as well.

So I am sewing a custom liner for my REI Chrysalis tent. It will cover the floor, and go up the walls to where the bath tub floor becomes wall. What I am hoping is I will have a warm and soft floor liner. And if a freak storm hit, I could use it also to cover up as well, as a top quilt. Weight and bulk wise? It is easier to pack the fabric than it is to tie on a blue pad on your pack, the weight isn't much more so far. I will know after I am fully finished.

So...for now, until the snows are deep enough for a good trip I won't know the results. I may even add baby Velcro to attach it to the walls. We will see. When I get it done, I will post photos!
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

Pure Mahem

Re: Work in progress: Tent floor liner

Postby Pure Mahem » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:04 am

You may just have a new product to market out of this, sounds like a great idea! You'll have to let us know how it works for you. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

samh

Postby samh » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Sarah - Of course you'll get flack from the ultralighters for such a project, but from the realists it sounds like a great idea. It is quite hard to keep from rolling around and falling off your pad, which in the winter is really almost dangerous. I look forward to some pics and testing results.

- Sam

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Great idea Sarah, we lookk forward to your sucessful project. I'll have to stop at the fabric store to get a feel of the Insul Bright. sounds like a an interesting product. Received your excellent freezer bag cook book, thank You!!!!
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sarbar

Postby sarbar » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 am

Insul Bright is an interesting fabric, easy to sew, but if you cut it be aware that the mylar tends to float in the air (When I cut the IB for cozies I usually wear a face mask, as I am cutting 20 yds at a time!). Usually my nosy cats end up sneezing after I cut.
It might not be super cheap to do the floor liner (it is $6 a yard retail) but since I buy it direct from the manufacturer it shouldn't cost me more than $6-10 or so to make it :D
And yep, UL it isn't I suppose....but in winter I am fine with a 30-35 lb pack if I am warm! I get cold even in 0* bags sometimes :cry:

I buy the IB in 40 yd rolls. Small they are not :D
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm

sarbar wrote:And yep, UL it isn't I suppose....but in winter I am fine with a 30-35 lb pack if I am warm! I get cold even in 0* bags sometimes :cry:
:D

Wow, cold even in "0" degree bag.

Buying material by the roll is nice for your amount of production. At one time I was purchasing 1,000 deneir nylon by the roll. Now that is what I called heavy and dificult to manuver. I made duffle bag type containers for carpeting. They were shipping containers for the carpeting that was used at industrial trade shows. Heavy Duty

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:13 am

if this turns out to be really warm you might be able to market it as an under quilt with the hammock hangers! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Mr. Charles

Postby Mr. Charles » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:57 am

Hi, I am going for traveling in this Christmas holiday from Sydney to Perth and the case is different that I am going on my bike. But I am unable to carry the things nicely. Like the big things quilt and its covers and bedding etc are hard for me to fold. Do you think a sleeping bag is enough for it? and I leave the other big things?

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Charles, this time of year a sleeping bag will work just fine. Might get one of those lightweight carbon fiber pull behind bike trailers with solar electric assist on the drive wheel.

Return to “Shelter Skelter”