Failure turned into a Success!!!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
oops56

Re: Failure!

Post by oops56 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:23 pm

Well min well not prime on top even with a wick very good so its on the side much better.

O K burn and water test same alum. kettle 20 oz. water 60F
First test 1/2 oz. boil 4-1/2 min. burn time 5-1/2 flame to kettle 1-1/8 in.
Second test 1/2 oz. fuel boil 5-1/2 min. burn time 6 min.40 sec. flame to kettle 1 in.
So that's how it is pot to flame makes a different
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 am

oops;
i just got mine to boil two cups on 1/2oz of METHYL HYDRATE!! :D under a Heiney pot.
it burned for almost twelve minutes. i think yours is burning too hot. try lowering the pot a bit more. maybe 3/4". mine is at 7/8" now.
Daren..........

ps; the Jolgia will be field tested this weekend! i'm heading out to the islands friday morning.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:13 am

DarenN wrote:oops;
i just got mine to boil two cups on 1/2oz of METHYL HYDRATE!! :D under a Heiney pot.
it burned for almost twelve minutes. i think yours is burning too hot. try lowering the pot a bit more. maybe 3/4". mine is at 7/8" now.
Daren..........

ps; the Jolgia will be field tested this weekend! i'm heading out to the islands friday morning.
I had it at 3/4 it wast fuel pick up pot and it had a fire on it that means pot to close to flame not a good burn play some more.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 am

here it is.
the gasket in the lid is a ring cut from some roofing rubber i had in the shop.
the simmerring cap is made from two watchmakers cases.
total weight of the complete kit is 1.2oz (34grams).
this is the only stove i have ever made that will boil 2cups on 1/2oz of Methyl Hydrate.

Daren.......

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:11 am

DarenN wrote:here it is.
the gasket in the lid is a ring cut from some roofing rubber i had in the shop.
the simmerring cap is made from two watchmakers cases.
total weight of the complete kit is 1.2oz (34grams).
this is the only stove i have ever made that will boil 2cups on 1/2oz of Methyl Hydrate.

Daren.......
O K i see what i did wrong i left the middle part in it was to tight to turn try again also my holes just a little lower then yours

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 13, 2008 9:44 am

DarenN has made it into the Big Leauge :D WhoooWhooo!!!!!

:?: :? Your Shoepolish Stove???? I thought that one was the first!!!!

Really nice stove DarenN. Celebration is in line at the Islands :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 13, 2008 9:47 am

zelph wrote:
DarenN has made it into the Big Leauge :D WhoooWhooo!!!!!

:?: :? Your Shoepolish Stove???? I thought that one was the first!!!!

Really nice stove DarenN. Celebration is in line at the Islands :D
nope. the polish stove needs 18ml of M/H, which is the same BTU potential as 1/2oz denatured.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue May 13, 2008 10:04 am

nope. the polish stove needs 18ml of M/H, which is the same BTU potential as 1/2oz denatured.
Oops!!!! my mistake, It was I that boiled 2 cups with 1/2 ounce of U.S.A. denatured alcohol, using your Polish Tin Stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Daren,

Very nice work, I have been very busy with a canister stove project and have not had time to look at this thread closely until now.

An UL Trangia burner is something that has been on my mind for a few years, you have done a superb job on yours.

I have found that in testing that using the Trangia with the simmer ring on used the same amount of fuel as when it was off no matter how slow the flame was, I would be interested to see if yours performs the same.

Great work

Tony

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue May 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Tony wrote:Hi Daren,

I have found that in testing that using the Trangia with the simmer ring on used the same amount of fuel as when it was off no matter how slow the flame was, I would be interested to see if yours performs the same.

Tony
i've not had that experience with the Trangia. quite the opposite, really. using the simmer ring at about half throttle more than doubles the burn time. but you got my attention :) so i did a test with the Jolgia.
5" aluminum pot
18ml M/H
no primer used
bloom at 1:40
placed the simmer cap at the 5 minute mark (wide open)
flame out at the 31:00 minute mark

the longest burn time i got on the Jolgia on 18ml without the simmer cap was just over twelve minutes.

under cooking conditions i would allow enough fuel to bring to boil plus a gestimated amount for the simmer time required.
for example:
i already know that 16ml will boil two cups in 10:30 with one minute of fuel left over. so boiling takes 1.5ml per minute. i would gestimate .75ml per minute for simmerring and add that to the 16ml of 'boiling fuel'. the whole idea behind a burner that you can snuff and cap off with fuel in it is to eliminate this kind of hair-splitting. :geek: isn't it? :ugeek:

Daren......